- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
LIRR Train Hits, Kills Man, Snarling Commute
A man was fatally struck by a westbound Long Island Rail Road train in Deer Park, forcing a since-lifted service suspension on the Main Line that snarled the Friday morning rush hour commute.
The victim was hit at a crossing shortly before 6 a.m. east of the Deer Park station by the 5:29 a.m. train from Ronkonkoma due in Penn Station at 6:38 a.m., according to the LIRR.
Service was suspended in both directions between Ronkonkoma and Deer Park for several hours.
It was mostly restored by the end of rush hour, but some trains were cancelled and there are scattered delays. Buses replaced trains commuters were urged to take trains on other lines.
MTA police are continuing the investigation into the cause of the incident.