- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Roosevelt Teen Shot Cab Driver, Cops Say
A teenager has been accused of shooting a 60-year-old taxi cab driver he allegedly robbed in Roosevelt a week after authorities said the suspect made another cab robbery attempt.
Nassau County police arrested Ezekiel Pittman, 19, of Roosevelt, hours after the second victim, a driver for Country Wide Car Service, picked the suspect up on West Roosevelt Avenue at 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
Police said Pittman got in the cab, flashed a handgun and demanded money but the gunman demanded more before shooting the driver in his right side and running away.
The victim was taken to Nassau University Medical Center, where he is listed in stable condition.
The victim identified Pittman as the shooter when investigators brought the suspect to the hospital, police said.
First Squad detectives alleged Pittman also tried to rob a 42-year-old woman driving a cab for Valentine Express in Hempstead on Aug. 2 but fled empty handed when the victim fought off the gunman.
Pittman was charged with robbery, assault, criminal possession of a weapon and criminal use of a firearm.
He will be arraigned Sunday at First District Court in Hempstead.