- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Seaford Woman Drowned in Canal
An 86-year-old Seaford woman drowned when she slipped and fell into the canal behind her home while cleaning her boat.
Nassau County police said Loraine Auld was found by her 85-year-old husband wedged between the dock and the bulkhead behind their Peconic Avenue home at 8:30 a.m. Saturday.
A neighbor called 911 and police performed CPR upon arrival before taking the victim to St Joseph’s Hospital, where she was pronounced dead two hours later.
Police said an autopsy determined that the cause of death was drowning and Seventh Squad detectives found no apparent criminality.
The case is the 12th apparent drowning on Long Island this year.