- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Riverhead Officers Nearly Shot by Gunmen, Cops Say
Two men have been arrested for firing guns behind a Riverhead home into a nearby park, narrowly missing Riverhead Town Police officers responding to a report of gunfire Wednesday evening, authorities said.
Scott Willet, 19, of Rocky Point, and Travis Albrecht, 22, of Aquebogue, were firing a shotgun and a rifle behind a house on Sound Avenue while the officers were searching for the source of the shots in neighboring North Fork Preserve shortly after 6 p.m.
Officers recovered a Saiga MK Sportsman rifle and ammunition.
Willet and Albrecht were each charged with reckless endangerment and other counts may be added.
Bail for the duo was set at $500 each.