- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
2 Hempstead Shootings Leave 2 Wounded in 2 Hours
Two men were wounded in shootings about two hours and two miles apart in Hempstead late Monday night into early Tuesday morning, but it is unclear if the cases are linked, Nassau County police said.
In the first case, four men demanded money from a 22-year-old victim at the corner of Wellesley Street and James LL Burrell Avenue and beat the victim to the ground when he refused shortly before 10 p.m., police said.
One of the attackers shot the victim in the right leg and stole cash from his pants pocket before the group ran away.
Then a 12:10 a.m., a 19-year-old victim was shot in the foot by a pair of gunmen on bicycles while he was walking on Pierson Avenue, police said. Those suspect also fled.
Both victims was taken to a local hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.
A police spokeswoman said detectives are investigating whether the cases are linked.
Third Squad detectives request anyone with information regarding this crime to contact Nassau County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous