- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
NYC Police Activity Snarls Friday LIRR Commute
Ten westbound Long Island Rail Road trains were cancelled and delayed up to a half hour due to police activity in Queens—the second snarled morning rush hour commute this week.
The LIRR said the delays and cancellations were due to “theft earlier this morning of copper wire” and other police activity near the Woodside station starting shortly before 8 a.m.
The snafu came four days after a third rail trouble in one of the four East River tunnels made a mess of the Monday morning peak travel time.
Subways were cross-honoring LIRR fares for stranded riders in both instances. The latest delays were affecting all 11 branches, but trains were running on time again before noon on all lines except the Port Washington Branch, according to the LIRR.
Scrap metal thefts have become increasingly common in recent years with burglars often ripping copper wire out of abandoned houses and stealing materials from construction sites to sell for cash at recycling yards.