- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Boy, 10, in Serious Condition After Leg gets Trapped in Boat Propellors
A day of tubing in the waters off of Cedarhurst Yacht Club turned frightening Friday for a 10-year-old boy who fell from the tube and got his left leg stuck in the propellers of a boat operated by a friend’s father, Nassau County police said.
After he was freed with the help of witnesses and Nassau County Bay Constables, the boy was rushed to a local hospital and remains in serious condition, police said.
The incident occurred at 2:20 p.m. in Reynolds Channel, police said.
The boy, who was not identified, was tubing with five other children and a friend’s father when he fell, police said.
When his friend’s father noticed that the boy had fell into the water, he stopped his 27-foot Sea Ray Sundeck, allowing the boy to swim toward the boat, police said. But as the boy was climbing back into the boat, his left leg got stuck into the propellers and he eventually became submerged under water, police said.
Witnesses in the area helped the boy until the bay constables arrived, police said.
The Lawrence Fire Department also responded and transported the boy to the foot of Atlantic Bride to an awaiting vehicle which transferred him to the hospital.
The boat was transported to Nassau County Marine Bureau for further investigation, but police report no criminality at this time, police said.