- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Roosevelt Man Charged with Murder in LIRR Death
A Roosevelt man is facing murder charges in connection with the death of a Freeport man who was killed after he fell off a Long Island Rail Road station platform and onto the third rail early Saturday morning, authorities said.
Niheim Levy, 34, was arrested Saturday and charged with murder and first-degree robbery.
The death of the 49-year-old man was originally attributed to him falling on the electrified third rail in Bellmore after suffering a seizure. But a joint investigation by MTA police and Nassau County police later revealed that the victim fell after a verbal altercation turned physical, police said.
Authorities did not say what sparked the altercation, which occurred just before 5 a.m., police said.
The MTA said the initial call to 911 reported that a man had fallen onto the track “after possibly suffering a seizure.”
Police are withholding the identity of the victim pending family notification, the MTA said.
“This is a great example of the outstanding working relationship the two agencies share which led to the expeditious arrest of a Homicide Suspect,” Inspector Joseph Martelli, commanding officer of the MTA police Detective Division, said in a statement.
Both Nassau police and MTA police are continuing the investigation.