- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Boy, 10, Hit by Dad’s Boat Propeller Dies
A 10-year-old boy who was hospitalized after being struck by a boat propeller in Lawrence while trying to climb aboard his family’s vessel died the following day.
Nassau County police said the victim had been tubing with five other children and his father, who was driving a 27-foot Sea Ray Sundeck in Reynolds Channel near the Cedarhurst Yacht Club, when he fell into the water and swam toward that boat at 2:20 p.m. Friday.
His left leg got stuck in the propeller while he tried to climb aboard, police said. His father held the victim above water until Nassau County Bay Constables freed the boy, police said.
Police said the boy, who was not identified, died early Saturday morning.
Fourth Squad detectives found no apparent criminality. Marine Bureau officers impounded the boat for their investigation.