- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
LIRR Tunnel Trouble Sparks Rush Hour Snafu
Long Island Rail Road trains heading eastbound were cancelled and delayed following signal trouble in one of the East River tunnels, backing up the Thursday evening rush hour commute during Rosh Hashanah.
Westbound train service was temporarily suspended between Jamaica and Penn stations shortly before 4 p.m., the railroad said. Some of the eastbound trains canceled were destined for Long Beach, Babylon and Port Washington.
“We anticipate that it will take approximately two hours to complete repairs,” the LIRR said in a statement at around the time of the suspension, referring to repairs in the Queens side of one of the tunnels, which are maintained by Amtrak.
An MTA spokesman told News12 Long Island that a contractor working on the East Side Access project accidentally cut a cable while performing work in the area.
New York City transit is crossing-honoring LIRR tickets on the E and 7 subway trains.
For more information, call the LIRR travel line at 511.