- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 7 days ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 weeks ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Soldier Charged With Murder of Long Island Veteran
An Army soldier has been formally charged with killing a retired Iraq war veteran from Long Island at Fort hood in Texas over the Labor Day weekend, military officials said.
Sgt. Brett M. Wessel was charged Thursday with murder and assault with the intent to commit murder in the Sunday shooting death of retired Sgt. Ryan Dickinson on West Fort Hood.
Both the suspect and the victim were 26-year-old married men. Dickinson was also a father of two.
Dickinson’s body was flown back to LI for his wake 2-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Moloney’s Funeral Home on Lakeland Avenue in Bohemia.
His funeral will be held 8:30 a.m. Monday at St. John Nepomucene Roman Catholic Church on Locust Avenue in Bohemia before he’s interred at Calverton National Cemetery.