- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Woman Killed in Bohemia Motel Shooting, Suspect in Custody
Suffolk County homicide detectives are investigating a shooting at a Bohemia motel that killed a woman early Saturday morning, police said.
A police spokeswoman said a man was taken into custody after he fired shots at Fifth Precinct officers attempting to enter the room after MacArthur Inn management called police just before 5 a.m. No officers were injured.
Both the victim and the suspect have not been identified. Police are still determining what charges to file against the suspect, the spokeswoman said.
Officers responded after the 911 caller said a woman was shot in the face, police said.
“When officers arrived they were directed to a room in the back of the motel,” the spokeswoman said. “They knocked on the door and kind of stepped back and a male emerged firing a gun.”
The officers sought protection by diving behind vehicles and they returned fire as the man ran toward a wooded area near the motel, police said. The suspect was later apprehended in the woods. It’s unclear how many shots were fired.
Two other people were inside the room when the shooting occurred. Investigators “believe that there was criminal activity in the room,” the spokeswoman said, but investigators declined to go into specifics.
“It’s unclear if the shooter or the victim had a relationship,” she said.
When police finally entered the room they found the woman, who is believed to be in her 20s, dead, police said.
The investigation is ongoing.