- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 weeks ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Teen Charged With 2 Valley Stream Sex Attacks
A 16-year-old Queens boy has been arrested for allegedly committing two of three recent sex attacks that have put parts of southwestern Nassau County residents on edge, authorities said.
Nashane Peterkin of Springfield Gardens was ordered held without bail Monday on charges of rape, assault, strangulation and attempted sexual abuse.
Nassau police said he was apprehended in Howard Beach following a joint investigation with the NYPD, district attorney’s office, New York State Police and New York State Parks Police.
State parks police alleged Peterkin raped a woman who was walking in Valley Stream State Park on the morning of Sunday, Sept. 1.
Nassau police later said that a suspect fitting the same description may have tried to rape two other women in Lynbrook and Valley Stream three weeks prior.
Nassau authorities charged the suspect with attempted sexual abuse in the other Valley Stream case in which he allegedly grabbed a 30-year-old woman from behind, pushed her to the ground, punched her in the face and tried to rip off her clothes on the night of Aug. 12.
That victim fought off the suspect, who fled the scene on his bicycle.
Authorities plan to discuss the case at a press conference scheduled for Monday afternoon.