- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Long Island 9/11 Events Set for 12th Anniversary
Long Islanders are remembering the twelfth anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks at events across Nassau and Suffolk counties, which were home to more than 400 of the 3,000 victims.
Vigils large and small will be held at local 9/11 memorial sites and other venues throughout Wednesday before, during and after the exact times four hijacked planes crashed into the Twin Towers, the Pentagon and Shankstown, Penn.
“The passage of time does not diminish the tragedy that our nation suffered 12 years ago,” Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano said. “It is imperative that we commemorate this day by reflecting and honoring those we lost that tragic morning.”
The events are in addition to ceremonies at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum in Manhattan, the Pentagon memorial in Washington, D.C. and the site of the planned Flight 93 memorial visitor complex in Pennsylvania.
The 9/11 memorial events on Long Island are as follows:
Point Lookout park 9/11 memorial speeches, songs and carnations in the sea at 7:30 a.m.
Long Beach Recreation Center remembrance gathering on Magnolia Boulevard at 8 a.m.
Suffolk County 9/11 Memorial Site prayer service at the H. Lee Dennison Building at 8:30 a.m.
Stony Brook University 9/11 memorial service on Academic Mall at 8:46 a.m.
Common Ground 9/11 memorial service at Rotary Park in Sayville at 7 p.m.
Long Beach 9/11 memorial at West Park Boulevard and Lafayette Boulevard at 7:30 p.m.
American Air Power Museum in Farmingdale open house tribute, 12-7 p.m. 4:30 p.m. blessing and 5-6 p.m. “missing man” flyover.
Nassau County Firefighters Museum and Education Center in Garden City free admission to exhibit, “Lives of Service; Celebrating the Heroes of Sept.11,” 10 a.m.-5 p.m.