- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Shirley Woman Stole $19K from Special Needs Home, Cop Say
A Shirley woman has been arrested for stealing $19,000 from her job at Port Jefferson Station group home for people with special needs to pay for personal expenses, Suffolk County police said.
Samantha Cuomo, who was a house manager for Maryhaven Center of Hope before she was fired, was charged with grand larceny.
Police began investigating the 28-year-old woman in April when the company employee reported discrepancies in hundreds of client receipts, including some for bus transportation, cash and the Hollywood Salon and Day Spa in Miller Place.
Sixth Squad detectives also found allegedly unauthorized credit card charges on Maryhaven’s credit card for dresses at Estelle’s in Farmingdale, police said.
Cuomo will be arraigned Wednesday at First District Court in Central Islip.
Maryhaven is the same company that runs the Middle Island group home where a 29-year-old resident died in July after Suffolk County police used a Taser and pepper spray on him.