- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Memorial Services Planned for Suffolk Presiding Officer William Lindsay
Family and friends will pay their respects this weekend to William Lindsay (D-Holbrook), the Suffolk County Legislature presiding officer, who died earlier this week.
The first service will be held at Raynor & D’Andrea Funeral Home Saturday from 2 to 6 p.m. Another will be held at the William H. Rogers Legislative Building in Hauppauge Sunday from 2 to 6 p.m.
Lindsay, who was 67, died Wednesday at Stony Brook University Hospital around noon, his spokesman said. Lindsay had been battling cancer for about two years.
His colleagues received the news shortly after he died. Many of them said Lindsay epitomized public service and had an unstoppable determination to get things done despite his battle with cancer.
“Bill stands as a shining example of what all public officials should strive to become,” said Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone.
Former county legislator Jon Cooper said Suffolk has never known a finer presiding officer.
“He was a terrific legislator and I think the best presiding officer that we’ve had in the history of Suffolk County Legislature and I don’t say that lightly,” he said.
The Holbrook Democrat was first elected presiding officer in 2006 and was re-elected every year since.
Lindsay is survived by his wife, Pat, and three children. He also has four grandchildren.