- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 weeks ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Rockville Centre Woman Accused of Vehicular Manslaughter
A woman has been charged with vehicular manslaughter following an alleged drunken driving crash that left her 21-year-old passenger dead in Rockville Centre over the weekend, Nassau County police said.
Asya Ulmer of Rockville Centre was driving a BMW northbound on North Center Avenue when she struck a parked tractor trailer near Meehan Street shortly before 6 a.m. Sunday, police said.
Her front-seat passenger, Jennifer Alexis of Bayside, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Ulmer, who is also 21, was taken to South Nassau Community Hospital and later placed under arrest.
She was additionally charged with driving under the influence of alcohol.
Bail for Ulmer was set at $20,000 bond or $10,000 cash. She faces up to seven years in prison if convicted.
Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation.