- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Central Islip Woman High in Crash With School Bus, Cops Say
A woman has been arrested for driving while high on drugs after she crashed head-on into a school bus for children with disabilities in her hometown of Central Islip on Wednesday morning, Suffolk County police said.
Tyajia Anthony was driving a Jeep southbound on Connetquot Avenue when her vehicle crossed over the double yellow line and struck a Suffolk Transportation Service school bus near the corner of Ridge Avenue, causing both to catch fire shortly after 8 a.m.
Two wheelchair-bound 5-year-old boys, two aides and the driver on the bus that was destined for an AHRC school were taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore. The driver and aides were treated for minor injuries but the children were not hurt.
The 29-year-old suspect was charged with driving while ability impaired by drugs and unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.
She will be arraigned Thursday at First District Court in Central Islip.