- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Old Bethpage Man Killed by Driver while Walking Dog, Cops Say
An Old Bethpage man walking his dog was killed by a driver early Thursday morning, Nassau County police said.
The victim, 42-year-old Robert Michaels, was walking his dog south on Round Swamp Road in his hometown when he was struck by a 2013 Dodge Avenger just before 12:30 a.m., police said.
He was transported to Nassau University Medical Center where he was pronounced dead at 1:05 a.m., police said. Michaels’ dog was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver, 37-year-old Matthew Johnstone of North Massapequa, allegedly fled the scene after the accident but later returned. He was placed under arrest and charged with leaving the scene of an accident.
Johnstone will be arraigned Thursday at First District Court in Hempstead.