- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Fire Suspends Service on Long Beach Branch
A fire in Island Park has caused the Long Island Rail Road to suspend train service between Valley Stream and Long Beach, the railroad said.
The fire occurred at an electrical substation in Island Park, said LIRR spokesman Sal Arena. Service between Long Beach and Valley Stream was suspended around 12:30 p.m.
The Island Park Fire Department responded to the fire and the situation is still ongoing, Arena said.
Buses were expected to arrive in Long Beach around 2 p.m. for customers affected by the suspension. Also, all Babylon branch westbound trains will stop at Lynbrook to accommodate Long Beach customers, the railroad said.
The cause of the fire is not yet known, Arena said. It’s also unclear when service will be restored.