- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
2 DWI Suspects Crash Into Police Cars in 25 Hours, Cops Say
Two alleged drunken drivers crashed into separate Nassau County police cars 25 hours and about a mile apart from one another over the weekend, authorities said.
In the first case, 27-year-old Joseph Garcia was speeding in a Hyundai southbound on Nassau Boulevard in his hometown of West Hempstead when he crashed into a police cruiser at 4:30 a.m. Saturday, police said.
Then at 5:30 a.m. Sunday, 22-year-old Jose Martinez was driving his Hyundai westbound on Hempstead Turnpike near his Franklin Square home when he crashed into a police car in which an officer had put a handcuffed suspect in the backseat, police said.
Officers found Garcia and Martinez both to be under the influence of alcohol, police said. Martinez also allegedly had marijuana in his vehicle.
The officers in both cases and the detainee in the second case were all taken to local hospitals for treatment of minor injuries.
Garcia and Martinez were both charged with driving while intoxicated, reckless endangerment and traffic violations. Garcia was also charged with assault and Martinez was additionally charged with marijuana possession.
Martinez will be arraigned Monday at First District Court in Hempstead. Bail for Garcia was set at $2,500 cash or $5,000 bond.
Police impounded both suspects’ vehicles.