- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Oceanside Man Torched Bar With 12 Inside, Cops Say
A 60-year-old man has been accused of trying to firebomb a bar with a dozen people inside near his Oceanside home last week.
Nassau County police Thursday arrested Alec Sapounas on charges of attempted arson and reckless endangerment.
Arson/Bomb Squad detectives alleged Sapounas threw an accelerant from a container toward the open rear door of Phat Daddy’s bar on Long Beach Road and then ignited it, causing a large fire at 8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 17.
Twelve people were in the bar at the time. None were injured.
A police spokeswoman said the patrons smelled gasoline, but the motive for the alleged arson was unclear.
Sapounas will be arraigned Friday at First District Court in Hempstead.