- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Cops: West Hempstead Man in Fatal Crash was Texting
A West Hempstead man involved in a fatal one-car crash was texting on his cell phone just prior to him crashing into a tree in Garden City Thursday, Nassau County police said.
The driver, 59-year-old Michele Guglielmi, was driving a 1998 Volvo east on Stewart Avenue just before 10 p.m. when he crossed into the westbound lanes and struck a tree on the north side of the road, police said. Guglielmi was pronounced dead at a local hospital at 10:23 p.m., police said.
“During the investigation it was determined that the victim had been texting on his cell phone just prior to the accident,” police said in a news release.
The Volvo was impounded for a brake and safety check, police said. The investigation is continuing.