- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Amityville Baby Fatally Struck by Truck
A 10-month-old girl died and her pregnant mother was hospitalized after they were hit by a truck while the mother pushed the baby in a stroller in North Amityville on Saturday evening.
Suffolk County police said 29-year-old Yancy Arevalo of Amityville was pushing the stroller with her daughter, Britney, across Route 110 just south of Nathalie Avenue when they were struck by a northbound Chevrolet pickup truck at 7 p.m.
Arevalo and her child were taken to Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center in West Islip where the infant died nearly seven hours later. Arevalo suffered minor injuries and is being held for observation because she is pregnant.
The driver, 46-year-old Arthur Plowden of North Amityvill,e was not injured.
First Squad detectives impounded the truck, are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information about the crash to call them at 631-854-8152.