- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 6 days ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 weeks ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
N. Merrick School Carbon Monoxide Scare Sends 14 Students to Hospital
Fourteen students and one teacher from a North Merrick elementary school required medical treatment Thursday after a high level of carbon monoxide was detected inside the building, officials said.
They were all transported from Camp Avenue Elementary School to Nassau University Medical Center and all appeared to be doing well after complaining of nausea, headaches and dizziness, officials said.
School officials evacuated the school around 1:30 p.m. after smoke was discharged from a boiler, officials said.
“To be on the safe side, 911 was called, the school was shortly evacuated, and the fire department assessed the situation and determined it was safe for the children to come back into the building,” the North Merrick School District said on its website.
Nassau County police and about a half-dozen fire departments were called to the scene, officials said.
Blood tests were performed at the hospital, but “it didn’t appear anyone would be admitted,” a NUMC spokeswoman said.