- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Kings Park Man Dies After Struggle With Police
A 60-year-old Kings Park man who hit his head while being restrained by Suffolk County police officers at Stony Brook University Hospital three weeks ago died this weekend, authorities said.
Officers had responded to a report that Lawrence Ports was behaving irrationally at his Hemlock Drive home when they called in the Suffolk County Mental Health Mobile Crisis Team that determined Port be hospitalized Sept. 24.
“Ports became combative and attempted to flee from the officers” while at the hospital, police said in a news release. Ports suffered a head injury during the struggle.
He was treated at the hospital, where his condition deteriorated and he was pronounced dead Friday.
His body was taken to the Suffolk County Medical Examiner’s office, where an autopsy will be performed to determine his cause of death.
Police are continuing the investigation into the incident.