- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Syosset Hit-and-run Truck Driver Strikes Cop
A Nassau County police officer was struck by a hit-and-run driver while conducting a traffic stop on the Long Island Expressway eastbound service road in Syosset on Monday morning, authorities said.
The highway patrolman, whose name was not released, was standing outside of his patrol car with emergency lights flashing when a large truck hauling pipes struck the officer, causing him to fall to the ground west of South Oyster Bay Road shortly before noon, police said.
The truck continued east without stopping and the officer was taken to a local hospital, where he was treated for injuries to his head, neck and back.
Second Squad detectives request anyone with information regarding the above accident to contact Nassau County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.