- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
NYPD Officer from LI Killed in Southern State Crash
An off-duty New York City police officer from West Islip was killed in a car accident on the Southern State Parkway early Thursday morning, police said.
Joseph Capo, a 27-year-old officer assigned to the NYPD’s 9th Precinct in Manhattan, was driving a 2004 Volkswagen east on the Southern State Parkway near Bethpage Parkway just before 1 a.m. when he lost control of the car, struck a 2001 Cadillac and overturned several times, New York State police said in a news release.
Capo was transported to Nassau University Medical Center where he was pronounced dead a short time later, police said.
The 54-year-old driver of the Cadillac received treatment for minor injuries, police said.
Police did not say what caused Capo to lose control of the vehicle. A police spokesman could not be reached for comment.
Capo joined the force on July 6, 2011, an NYPD spokeswoman said.
The crash is still under investigation. Police ask anyone who may have witnessed the accident to contact State police at 631-756-3300.