- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 7 days ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 weeks ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Shirley Fire That Killed 4 Started Accidentally, Cops Say
Suffolk County police Saturday said the fire that killed a mother and her three children a week ago in Shirley started accidentally in the living room.
But police did not say what sparked the fire.
Police also announced that the Suffolk County Medical Examiner’s office determined the cause of deaths as a combination of smoke inhalation and thermal burns.
The blaze, which occurred Oct. 11 at 16 Hollywood Drive, killed 41-year-old Jennifer McCusker, 7-year-old Aidan Tarbell and two-year-old twins Ava Jane Mistretta and Brendan Mistretta. They were all pronounced dead at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue.
Police were first alerted to the fire when a neighbor dialed 911 after her two sons—one an EMT and the other a volunteer firefighter—tried unsuccessfully to enter the house.
McCusker was discovered in a room with the twins and Tarbell was found in an adjoining room, police said.