- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Suffolk Biker Gang Busted for Rowdy Ride
Another roving gang of motorcyclists has been busted for riding recklessly through several South Shore towns over the weekend, Suffolk County police said.
Dozens of 911 callers reported between 20 and 50 people riding motorcycles and ATVs down Main Street in Islip and Bay Shore, Sunrise Highway in West Islip and on Deer Park Avenue in North Babylon from 3-4 p.m. Sunday, police said.
The bikers, some of whom donned ghoulish Halloween makeup while popping wheelies, rode in a pack that overflowed from the roadway with a few riding on sidewalks. Some riders on quads rode on two wheels as well.
Seven motorcyclists were arrested on various charges and more than 30 others were ticketed for trespassing for gathering on their bikes behind the Suffolk County Department of Social Services building on South 2nd Street in Bay Shore, police said. Four motorcycles and one ATV were also impounded.
The case is the second such bust in two weeks after Suffolk police arrested seven motorcyclists for alleged reckless riding on the Long Island Expressway between exits 49 and 63 on Oct. 14.
Charged with reckless driving Sunday were a 25-year-old East Quogue man who allegedly swerved in an out of oncoming traffic, a 19-year-old Brentwood man also charged with criminal mischief for backing into a patrol car and a 19-year-old Brooklyn man also accused of driving without a license and resisting arrest.
Another Brooklyn man was charged with fleeing a police officer, a 29-year-old Yonkers man was accused of fleeing a crash with a car and a 35-year-old Bay Shore man nabbed for drunken driving.
Suffolk police made the second such bust since the NYPD began investigating a biker gang that allegedly assaulted the driver of an SUV in Manhattan earlier this month.