- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Lou Reed Tribute Coming to Freeport Wednesday
A candlelight vigil and musical performance honoring the life of Lou Reed, who died this weekend, will be held on the Nautical Mile in his childhood hometown of Freeport.
Family, friends fans and musicians are expected to gather for the tribute to the Long Island-native rock legend, who died Sunday at age 71 at his home in Amagansett following a liver transplant earlier this year.
Reed, a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer who graduated Freeport High School in 1959, sold millions of records as co-founder of The Velvet Underground and is considered one of the most influential performers in rock history with such classics as “Walk on the Wild Side,” “Sweet Jane” and “Pale Blue Eyes.”
The memorial luncheon is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. Wednesday at Hudon’s on the Mile on Woodcleft Avenue. There will be a performance in his honor at the ceremony, organizers say.