- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Eastport Hit-and-run Driver Kills Woman, Injures Man
A hit-and-run driver killed a 27-year-old woman and injured her male companion in her hometown of Eastport on Saturday night, Suffolk County police said.
Erika Strebel and Edward Barton were standing near Strebel’s disabled Jeep on the shoulder of the eastbound lane of Montauk Highway when they were struck by an eastbound vehicle shortly after 9 p.m.
The vehicle, which sustained front end damage, fled eastbound on Montauk Highway.
Strebel was taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead, where she was pronounced dead. Barton, 26, of East Moriches, was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital, where he is being treated for head and knee injuries.
Vehicular Crime Unit detectives are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information about this crash to call them at 631-852-6555 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.