- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Nassau Police Detective Killed in Crash
A Nassau County police detective was killed in an early-morning crash Wednesday when his crossover SUV crashed into a tractor trailer as he was exiting the Northern State Parkway in Carle Place, police said.
Nassau police identified the detective as Alfred Samaniego. The police department did not release Samangiego’s age or say how long he was on the force.
Homicide detectives said Samaniego was exiting the Northern State Parkway on the westbound Glen Cove Road ramp just before 1 a.m. when the 2011 GMC Acadia Denali he was driving crossed over the northbound lanes and struck a U.S. mail tractor trailer driving southbound.
Samaniego was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.
“The Nassau County Police Department regretfully announces the victim in this Fatal Vehicular Accident has been identified as Nassau County Detective Alfred A. Samaniego,” Nassau County police Deputy Inspector Kenneth Lack said in a statement.
Police said the investigation is continuing.
The driver of the tractor trailer was not injured, police said.