- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Plainview Man DWI in Wrong-way Crash, Cops Say
An alleged drunken driver heading the wrong way on the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway crashed into another vehicle in Bethpage before he was arrested this weekend, Nassau County police said.
John Derrico was driving his vehicle southbound in the northbound lanes of Route 135 when he collided with a northbound Volvo near exit 8, Powell Avenue, and then hit the median shortly after 1 a.m. Saturday, police said.
A Highway Patrol officer responded and pulled the 51-year-old Plainview man from the vehicle, which had flames coming from beneath the hood, and found him to be under the influence of alcohol, police said.
Derrico was taken into custody and to a local hospital for medical evaluation. The 29-year-old man driving the Volvo was not hurt.
Derrico was charged with reckless endangerment, driving while intoxicated, reckless driving and driving the wrong direction on a one way street. He will be arraigned Sunday at First District Court in Hempstead.