- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Hempstead Man Gets 20 Years for Bar Slay
An admitted killer was sentenced Wednesday to 20 years in prison for stabbing to death a 23-year-old man outside a bar in Hempstead last year.
Jose Gavarrete had pleaded guilty in April at Nassau County court to manslaughter.
Prosecutors said Gavarrete and his cousin, Manuel Antonio Gavarrete, got into a fight with Herzon Torres Alvarado while all three were drinking at El Patio Café in their hometown of Hempstead on March 7, 2012.
Gavarrete stabbed the victim repeatedly and gave the knife to his cousin to get rid of, according to prosecutors.
Manuel Gavarrete pleaded not guilty last summer to murder, weapons and tampering with evidence charges and is due back in court Nov. 26.