- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Huntington Station Fire Kills Woman, Daughter
A 64-year-old woman and her 29-year-old daughter died when their Huntington Station house caught fire late Thursday night, Suffolk County police said.
Officers and Huntington Manor firefighters responded the blaze on 4th Avenue, which 29-year-old Joseph Martinez escaped from a basement window at 11:42 p.m., police said.
His mother, Reyna Paris, and sister, Rosemarie Martinez, who had Down syndrome, were found in separate bedrooms on the second floor.
All three were taken to Huntington Hospital, where Paris and her daughter were pronounced dead. Joseph was treated for minor injuries.
Multiple fire departments responded to assist Huntington Manor firefighters in extinguishing the blaze, which was complicated by the fact that the house was extremely cluttered, police said.
Homicide and Arson Squad detectives are continuing the investigation, but the cause of the fire has not been determined.
Anyone with information about this fire is asked to call the Homicide Squad at 631-852-6392 or anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will remain confidential.