- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Ridge Man Kills Girlfriend, Shoots at Officers, Cops Say
A man has been arrested for allegedly killing his 36-year-old girlfriend outside of their apartment in Ridge and then shooting at officers responding to 911 callers reporting gunfire, Suffolk County police said.
Officers arrived at the couple’s home at Brookwood at Ridge Garden Apartments on Village Drive, where they found Kimberly Sellitto lying dead of an apparent gunshot wound on the front lawn at 11:40 a.m. Sunday, police said.
Emergency Service Section officers and the Hostage Negotiation Team responded and talked Jose Rodriguez III into releasing his two children that were in the apartment with him before he allegedly fired shots from a rifle at investigators, police said.
The bullets struck an armored police vehicle, but no officers were injured. Officers returned fire at Rodriguez, who was also not injured, before he surrendered after a two-hour standoff.
Sellitto was pronounced dead at the scene. The two children, who were not injured, were released to the custody of their mother.
Homicide Squad detectives charged Rodriguez with second-degree murder and attempted aggravated murder. He will be arraigned Monday at First District Court in Central Islip.