- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
New York Congresswoman Attacked, Robbed in D.C.
Rep. Grace Meng (D-Queens) was attacked and robbed while walking to her Washington D.C. apartment after dinner on Capitol Hill Tuesday, her spokesperson confirmed.
Meng, who took over Democrat Gary Ackerman’s redrawn sixth congressional district following his retirement last year, resumed regular activities Wednesday after suffering a bruised chin and undergoing a CAT scan at George Washington University Hospital.
“While this was a frightening ordeal, I fortunately was not seriously injured,” Meng said in a statement. “Obviously, things could have been much worse. I thank the U.S. Capitol Police and the District of Columbia Police for responding quickly and professionally.”
The freshman congresswoman was walking to her apartment after leaving a D.C. restaurant when she was knocked to the ground after she was struck in the back of the head near Sixth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, according to her office.
Meng’s attacker took her handbag and fled on foot.