- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
New Cassel Man Sentenced for Beating Elderly Victim
A New Cassel man was sentenced Friday to 25 years in prison for beating of a lost, elderly Hicksville man suffering from Alzheimer’s Disease last year.
Josue Bonilla had been convicted at Nassau County court in July of six counts of assault. The 23-year-old was also sentenced to 5 years of post-release supervision and must pay $15,181 in restitution for his victim’s medical expenses.
Prosecutors said the 68-year-old victim was walking on Grayston Street in New Cassel when Bonilla yelled at the victim on April 28, 2012.
“I don’t have anything,” the victim said before Bonilla punched him in the jaw, breaking the victim’s dentures and knocking him to the ground.
Bonilla kicked the victim, stomped on his head and chest and left him unconscious.
Bonilla fled the scene but was apprehended two months later.
The victim is expected to be in a vegetative state for the rest of his life.