- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
North Bellport Man Charged With Stabbing Victim
A North Bellport man has been arrested for allegedly stabbing another man at an East Patchogue deli last month, Suffolk County police said.
Melvin Jose Martinez Velasquez was charged with assault this week.
Police said the 24-year-old suspect got into an argument with a patron at Plaza La Familia on East Main Street when the fight escalated and Martinez Velasquez punched and kicked the victim and then stabbed him with an unknown object on the night of Oct. 23.
Fifth Squad detectives had released surveillance camera images of the suspect before Martinez Velasquez surrendered at the Fifth Precinct station house in Patchogue.
Bail for Martinez Velasquez, who was arraigned on Thanksgiving, was set at $10,000 cash or $20,000 bond. He is due back in court Tuesday.