- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
West Babylon Bridge Renamed for Peter Figoski
The Route 109 bridge over Sunrise Highway was renamed “NYPD Officer Peter Figoski Memorial Bridge” during a ceremony at the intersection on Saturday morning.
“Every time people pass by this bridge they will be reminded of Peter’s bravery and sacrifice,” said State Sen. Phil Boyle (R-Bay Shore), who hosted the ceremony.
Figoski, a 22-year veteran of the NYPD, was fatally shot while responding to a home invasion in Brooklyn two years ago.
Lamont Pride, who was convicted of the officer’s murder, was sentenced earlier this year to 45 years to life in prison.
Figoski was posthumously promoted to detective and awarded the New York Police Department Medal of Honor.