- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Eastport Home Invasion Gunmen Kill 1, Wound Another
Two masked gunmen broke into a house in Eastport where they fatally shot a 45-year-old man and injured another during a home invasion early Sunday morning, Suffolk County police said.
Officers responded to a 911 call at a house on East Moriches Boulavard, where the assailants had announced a robbery before opening fire at 3:24 a.m., police said.
The suspects fled the home after leaving Francisco Pirir, a resident of the home, dead. A second resident, was treated and released from a local hospital for a gunshot wound to the hand.
Pirir is the fifth person to be gunned down this year during a home invasion on Long Island, a tally that includes a Medford man in August and a Flanders man in January. A Nassau County cop also shot a home invasion suspect and his hostage near Hofstra University in May.
Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation into the latest case and ask anyone with information on the case to call them at 631-852-6492 or anonymously to Suffolk County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.