- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Gang Member Gets Life in Prison for Murder of Mom, Tot
A reputed ex-MS-13 street gang chapter leader was sentenced Monday to life in prison for fatally shooting a 19-year-old woman and her 2-year-old son in Central Islip three years ago, among others.
Heriberto “Boxer” Martinez, 26, had been convicted at Central Islip federal court in March of murder, racketeering, assault with dangerous weapons and related firearms and conspiracy offenses.
“Martinez authorized the execution of a young mother, whom he believed had disrespected the gang, ordered the execution of a security guard for doing his job, and … carried out the execution of a fellow MS-13 member who refused to commit senseless, violent crimes,” said Loretta Lynch, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York.
Martinez’ co-defendant, Carlos “Silencio” Ortega, was convicted of the same charges and also sentenced to life in prison last month.
Prosecutors said Martinez helped three of his co-conspirators evade arrest in the murder of Vanessa Argueta and her toddler son, Diego Torres in February 2010.
Martinez and four fellow gang members used the same gun to shoot 23-year-old Nestor Moreno, a security guard at El Rancho Bar and Grill in Hempstead, in March 2010 following a dispute over an unpaid bar tab in which Martinez was sprayed with pepper spray.
That same month, Martinez and Ortega murdered fellow MS-13 member Mario Alberto Canton Quijada on the beach in Far Rockaway—hacking him to death with machetes—because of his reluctance to attack rival gang members on behalf of the MS-13.