- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
NYPD Recruit Fatally Shot Himself, Grazed Girlfriend, Cops Say
A domestic dispute in Hempstead turned deadly Friday night when an NYPD recruit fatally shot himself after firing a bullet at his girlfriend, Hempstead Village police said.
The 26-year-old recruit, who was not identified, grazed the woman in the left leg before turning the gun on himself, police said. The woman’s name was not released. She declined medical attention, police said.
“Apparently the relationship went sour…and he shot her,” Hempstead police Lt. Paul Johnson said.
The incident occurred at 7:30 p.m. at the Beverly Road residence where the couple lived, police said.
The NYPD didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.