- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Huntington Teen High in Fatal Crash, Cops Say
A teenager has been accused of driving while high on drugs after being involved in a crash that killed a 63-year-old woman in the victim’s hometown of Commack on New Year’s Eve.
Suffolk County police said James Murphy was driving a Chevrolet Blazer northbound on Commack Road when his vehicle sideswiped a Mercedes and then struck a westbound Hyundai at the intersection of Hauppauge Road at 3:25 p.m. Tuesday.
The woman driving the Hyundai, Herta Palma, was taken to Huntington Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. The woman driving the Mercedes was not hurt.
Murphy and a woman in his passenger seat were taken to St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center in Smithtown, where they were treated for minor injuries.
Murphy was charged with driving while ability impaired by drugs. His bail was set at $450,000 bond or $150,000 cash. He is due back in court Monday.