- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Brentwood Frieght Train Derailment Sparks LIRR Suspensions
Long Island Rail Road train service was twice suspended in both directions on the Ronkonkoma Branch as crews make repairs after a freight-train derailment in Brentwood early Friday morning.
The LIRR had restored service in time for the westbound morning rush-hour commute after service was initially suspended shortly before 3 a.m., although there were residual delays and canceled trains throughout the morning.
Service was suspended a second time Friday morning between Ronkonkoma and Farmingdale on the Main Line after rush hour ended to allow a crane to assist in re-railing a stretch of track damaged in the derailment, according to the MTA.
Eastbound LIRR service was restored on the branch shortly before 3 p.m., just in time for the Friday evening rush-hour commute.