- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Deer Park Gang Shooting Victim Identified
Suffolk County police identified the man who was killed in a possible gang-related shooting in Deer Park early Thursday morning as a 25-year-old Wyandanch native.
Jean Yves was at the wheel of a white Cadillac when he and two others pulled into the parking lot of Night Owl Lounge at 2:22 a.m. on Long Island Avenue when gunfire erupted. Police said two people in a group standing outside the bar opened fired more than a dozen shots at the car, killing Yves and injuring one of his passengers. The third person in the car was not injured, police said.
The two gunman fired at the car “within a couple of seconds,” Det. Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick told the Press.
Investigators believe the shooting is gang related “based on information we’ve received,” Fitzpatrick said. He declined to elaborate.
Yves was pronounced dead at a local hospital. The other shooting victim, who has yet to be identified, suffered a gunshot wound to the chest. A police spokeswoman said Thursday that he was listed in serious condition.
Homicide detectives are continuing the investigation. Anyone with information regarding the fatal shooting is asked to call the Homicide Squad at 631-852-6392 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.