- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Cops: Man Robbed 3 Suffolk Banks in a Week
A 54-year-old Brentwood man charged with committing three bank robberies in less than a week was arrested 20 minutes after allegedly robbing another bank in Babylon on Friday, Suffolk County police said.
George Swanton was spotted on Railroad Avenue around 12:25 p.m. and placed under arrest by responding officers who received a notification broadcasting the alleged robber’s description, police said.
Just 20 minutes earlier, Swanton allegedly walked into a Chase bank on West Main Street and told a teller he had a gun as he demanded cash, police said. As he waited, Swanton allegedly demanded money from a second teller. Both tellers complied with his request, police said.
Swanton was charged with two counts of third-degree robbery for Friday’s incident. He was also charged with two counts of third-degree robbery for allegedly robbing a Bank of America in West Islip on Jan. 14, and one count of third-degree robbery for allegedly robbing a Brentwood Citibank on Jan. 11.
He is scheduled to be arraigned Saturday at First District Court in Central Islip.