- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Teen Killed, Sister, 13, Critically Injured in Valley Stream Crash
A 15-year-old girl was killed and her younger sister was critically injured when the car they were passengers in crashed Monday night in Valley Stream, Nassau County police said.
The fatal crash occurred around 9:23 p.m. on West Merrick Road near Boden Avenue, police said.
The two teens were in a 2000 Toyota being driven by a 19-year-old man who was heading westbound when the car collided with a 2009 Toyota making a U-turn, police said. The 2000 Toyota then struck several parking meters and slammed into a utility police before it came to rest in the eastbound lanes, police said.
The two girls and the driver were all transported to local hospitals, police said.
The 15-year-old girl suffered fatal injuries and was pronounced dead at 10:31 p.m. Her younger sister, who was ejected from the car, is listed in critical condition with severe head and body trauma, police said. The 19-year-old driver suffered non-life threatening injuries.
The 31-year-old man behind the wheel of the other Toyota was not injured.
Police have yet to identify the two sisters.
Both vehicles were impounded for brake and safety checks. Police said crash doesn’t appear to be criminal. The investigation is ongoing.