- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
East Patchogue Man Sentenced for DWI Crash That Killed Grandfather
An East Patchogu man was sentenced Tuesday to 4-to-8 years in prison for driving drunk and causing a crash that killed his 77-year old grandfather seven months ago.
Gary Hendricks had pleaded guilty at Suffolk County court to vehicular manslaughter, vehicular assault and driving while intoxicated.
Prosecutors said the 45-year-old man was driving a Chevrolet Suburban on Sunrise Highway in Patchogue when he rear-ended a pickup truck and lost control of the truck, which flipped on the shoulder several times on July 22.
Isaac Beal was ejected and pronounced dead at the scene and two of Hendricks passengers were injured, one critically.
Hendricks reportedly told police he was driving without a license because his passengers had more to drink than the two beers he had, authorities said.
He was found to have a blood alcohol content of 0.17 percent, more than double the legal limit of 0.08 percent.